Zum Inhalt Zum Seitenmenü Zur Fußzeile
Studying with a child

Studying with a child

Who says that children and studies can’t be reconciled? Our social counselling helps you to master everyday life with your child. It is best to arrange a personal appointment right away, because our consultants have a lot of good advice in regard to financing options, finding a flat, etc.!


BAföG and Childcare allowance

In addition to BAföG, there is a childcare allowance on request if students live in one household with at least one child under the age of 14. The amount is € 140 for each child. The childcare allowance is granted as a full grant. Raising children can be a reason to receive BAföG for longer and as a full grant.

“Educational package” – services for education and participation

Those receiving a child allowance, housing allowance, ALG II, social benefit or social welfare are entitled to education and participation benefits for all their children living in the household.

These include e.g.

• school trips,

• school supplies,

• allowance for school trips,

• learning support and

• lunch at daycare, school and after-school care

Beneficiaries of ALG II or social benefit apply for the benefit at the responsible job centre, beneficiaries of social welfare at the social welfare office. Anyone who receives housing allowance or child allowance should contact the housing allowance office or the family benefits office.

Federal Foundation Mother and Child

The funds of the Federal Foundation “Mother and Child - Protection of Unborn Children” are a supplementary financial aid for pregnant women in distress, if the income does not cover the financial needs for pregnancy, childbirth as well as care and upbringing of the toddler and other state benefits aren’t available in time or to the necessary extent.

The foundation funds can be granted for expenses incurred in connection with pregnancy, childbirth and the care and upbringing of the toddler. This includes in particular the initial equipment of the baby, the continuation of the household, the apartment and its furnishings or the care of the infant or toddler. The amount and duration of the support depend on the special circumstances of the personal hardship. The decision about this lies with the beneficiaries of the Federal Foundation at the state level. There is no legal entitlement to support from the Federal Foundation. If foundation funds are granted, they may not be seized or counted towards social benefits.

The application can be submitted to a pregnancy counselling centre such as pro familia or a diaconia.

Parental benefit

Parental benefit is a compensation payment based on net income for parents who are not or not fully employed due to childcare.

Entitled to parental benefit is a person, who

• has a residence / habitual place of residence in the Federal Republic of Germany,

• mainly educates and looks after her / his child himself,

• has legal custody for the child,

• lives in a household with the child and

• is not employed or

• doesn’t work more than 30 hours a week part-time.

(Basic) parental benefit is paid for twelve months, if the two ‘partner months’ are used, for 14 months, from the parental benefit offices of the responsible youth welfare office. Single parents can claim the full 14 months of parental benefit. The parental benefit compensates for a loss of income after the birth of the child and amounts to 65 % – 100 % of the previous net salary, up to a maximum of € 1,800 and at least € 300. Multi-child families receive a sibling bonus. If you as a student had no earned income before the child was born, you can claim the minimum payment of € 300, but you cannot extend it to 14 months. Parents who work part-time while receiving parental benefit primarily benefit from ElterngeldPlus. The subscription period can be extended beyond the 14th month of the child's life up to 24 months. A monthly minimum of € 150 is paid, a maximum of € 900.

The parental benefit is counted towards ALG II, social welfare and child allowance.

The BAföG doesn’t count towards the minimum amounts (it isn’t taken into account for 300 € basic parental benefit or 150 € ElterngeldPlus).

Child allowance

The child allowance is a supplement to child benefit for low-income parents. It is intended for parents who live with their children in a common household and whose income and assets are sufficient to meet their own needs, but not the needs of their minor children.

The minimum income limit is € 900 for parents and € 600 for single parents (child benefit and housing benefit are not considered as income in this case). Parents can only claim the child allowance if their monthly income reaches the respective minimum income limit.

If children have their own income or assets to be taken into account of € 140 or more (e. g. through maintenance payments), child allowance isn’t paid.

It is not possible to receive unemployment benefit II / social benefit or social welfare respectively and child allowance at the same time.

The application must be submitted to the family benefits office of the responsible job centre.

Increased demand and basic equipment for mother and child

If there is a neediness, the job centre or social welfare office will pay expectant mothers after the application an increased demand from the 13th week of pregnancy on and, if necessary, an increased demand for single parents. In addition, basic equipment for maternity clothing and baby equipment (for clothing as well as for furniture and everyday items) can be requested.

Maternity allowance

The maternity allowance is paid for the duration of the maternity leave if there is an employment relationship at the beginning of the period. Depending on the type of health insurance, the application must be submitted either to the health insurance or to the Federal Insurance Office.

Family in Need Foundation

The Family in Need Foundation helps to overcome family emergencies by earmarked financial grants and interest-free loans. The foundation primarily supports large families, single parents and pregnant women who are habitually resident in Lower Saxony, who are in financial need due to unforeseen events and who have no support from other sources. Aids can e.g. be granted for

• the procurement or maintenance of an apartment after a divorce or separation, by assuming rental security deposit, removal and renovation costs,

• for childcare costs to complete an apprenticeship or to reintegrate into working life.

Alimony advance

Alimony advance is paid if the child receives no or no regular maintenance from the other parent. Single parents can request an alimony advance for their child from the responsible youth welfare office; if the other parent is solvent but doesn’t want to pay, he / she will be asked to pay back the alimony advance. Under certain conditions, the entitlement to an alimony advance can be excluded. This is the case, for example, if information about the parent liable to pay or collaboration in the determination of the other parent or paternity is refused.

Alimony advance is paid until the child is 12 years old. Children between the age of twelve and 18 can also receive alimony advance. The prerequisite for this is that they are not dependent on benefits under SGB II, or that the single parent with SGB II benefits earns at least € 600. The amount is € 160 per month for children under the age of six, € 212 for children between the age of six and under twelve and € 282 for children between the age of twelve and seventeen. It should be noted here that the alimony advance may be offset against social benefit or other social services.

You can find more funding options here.


Housing allowance

Although students are usually excluded from housing allowance, an entitlement to housing allowance as a household may exist, e.g. via the child.

Dormitories of the Student Services

In some of our dormitories we offer special apartments for students with children. The rental prices include ancillary costs, Internet is included and most rooms are already furnished!


The Student Services runs a total of six daycare centres at different locations, where children of students between the age of two months and six years are primarily admitted. In general, childcare should be registered at an early stage. Many cities and municipalities have set up online portals now, through which registrations can be made. Otherwise, the registration takes place directly at the facilities.


The universities offer further information and support possibilities for the compatibility of studies and child, located in the so-called family offices or equal opportunities offices.


Children up to 10 years of age receive a Piepmampf-portion in our cafeterias and bistros, if:

• the parents are students or employees,

• they are accompanied by mum or dad and a parent also buys a meal, and

• they carry a Piepmampf-Pass with them.